It’s a neck-and-neck race between Starbucks and Coca-Cola for the most popular brand on Facebook. In summer 2009 Starbucks surpassed Coca-Cola with 3.7 million fans worldwide. One year later, in summer 2010, the world’s leading coffee franchise reached 10 million fans – a new world record at that time. Right now, Coca-Cola is back on top with 22.4 million fans. According to statistics by online portal socialbakers, this translates into a growth rate of 53% within the past six months. Starbucks follows suit as runner-up with 19.6 million fans (36% increase), Disney is on third with 16.9 million fans (66% increase).
To compare: Only nine other Facebook pages have more fans than Coca-Cola: Texas Hold’em Poker (36.4 million), Facebook (34 million), Michael Jackson (28.7 million), Lady Gaga (28.5 million), Eminem (28.4 million), YouTube (27.1 million), Family Guy (25.7 million), Rihanna (24.8 million) and Linkin Park (23 million).
The world’s most valuable consumer goods brand, Coca-Cola, is also the most popular brand on Facebook having 22.5 million fans
Which brands have the most fans in Germany? Leading by a tight margin is Ferrero’s chocolate bar ‘Kinderriegel’ with 255,000 fans, a 32% increase over the past six months. Starbucks is runner-up with 252,000 fans (33% increase) and Nike Football Germany is on third with 237,000 fans (32% increase).
Most popular in Germany: The ‘Kinderriegel’ chocolate bar with 255,000 fans
Interested in other Facebook key stats? Czech company Candytech, parent company of the Facebook statistics portal socialbakers, has published a great chart illustrating the growth of Facebook in 2010:
- The number of users increased from 337 million to 585 million in 2010.
- That means Facebook gets 7.9 registrations per second on average.
- The Top 3 countries where Facebook users come from are the US, Indonesia (up 121%!) and the UK
- The Top 10 countries make up 60% of Facebook users.
- The majority of Facebook users is between 18 and 34 years old. The fastest growing age group are the 65+ year olds (up 124%).
- Michael Jackson still has more fans than Lady Gaga and any other musician.
And here’s the 2010 Facebook Yearbook: